During these unusual times because of the pandemic, we at the Peer Support Centre want to help in any way that we can.
While we cannot be there with you in person, we can listen empathetically and non-judgmentally through an online format. We believe that we can continue to provide quality services to all students this way. We can provide practical help by brainstorming resources and developing a plan to move forward if you wish.
This is what you should expect from our new online service:
- We welcome both drop-ins and appointments. Please visit our Hours and Location page or Appointments page for more information.
- We conduct our services through the application Zoom. We have asked our peer supporters to be in a private and quiet space and use headphones if possible. While we cannot guarantee confidentiality, we will do our best to keep you feeling comfortable and safe.
- We are BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, or Person of Colour) and 2SLGBTQIA+ (Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Plus) friendly! You may make preferential appointments with a BIPOC or 2SLGBTQIA+ supporter if desired.
- Sessions last a maximum of 45 minutes and you are free to discuss and explore anything that is going on in your life.
- Before your support session, a student serving as the “shift lead” will outline how the support session will work and explain the support agreement. They will answer any questions you may have regarding confidentiality or the McGill Peer Support Centre in general.
- Your support session will be held in a private Zoom breakout room with a supporter where you are free to discuss what is on your mind.
- After the session you will be given an online post-session questionnaire to be completed. This is a great opportunity to give your feedback and help us improve.
- We make no guarantee that you will see the same peer supporter, but you are always more than welcome to return to Peer Support Centre!
- Turning your video on our off during your session is your decision!
- Sessions are not recorded and supporters are bound by our confidentiality policy.